Principles for Business Writing
Following on from previous Tip about global Business English, here are some more principles for good business writing.
David Bowman originally published this list in his Concise Guide to Technical & Academic Writing. They are principles that apply to good business writing as well as to technical and academic writing:
- The reader is more important than the writer.
- The style must be consistent with the purpose.
- Clear, simple writing increases understanding.
- Logical organisation shows how ideas connect.
- The reader needs to know how to find information.
- Information sources must be given credit.
- Correct grammar, punctuation, and word choice enhance credibility.
Follow these principles and your writing is sure to improve.