David Bowman originally published this list in his Concise Guide to Technical & Academic Writing. They are principles that apply to good business writing as well as to technical and academic writing:
- The reader is more important than the writer.
- The style must be consistent with the purpose.
- Clear, simple writing increases understanding.
- Logical organisation shows how ideas connect.
- The reader needs to know how to find information.
- Information sources must be given credit.
- Correct grammar, punctuation, and word choice enhance credibility.
Follow these principles and your writing is sure to improve.